United States Virginia
Historic city located along the Potomac River, known for its preserved architecture, vibrant waterfront, and rich cultural heritage.
Tips from the community
Located across the Potomac River from D.C, Alexandria, Virginia, offers many ways to celebrate African American culture this Juneteenth. Carlyle House Historic Park, an 18th-century museum in the Old Town, will host poetry readings coupled with live music and art on the holiday. On June 18th, head to the Black History Museum’s garden for children’s storytelling about local history through books, stories, and songs. Booking a spot on a Manumission Tour is a must-do. Their routes tell the history of enslaved Alexandrians, their stories of freedom, and tours of the historically Black Duke Street. Don’t forget to eat your way through Black-owned Alexandria at local spots like Haute Dogs and Fries or Hen Quarter.
briari 1 year ago
- netanyas (Netanya Trimboli) So many great places to choose from in the DC area to fill up on tasty Mexican cuisine. #seekerchallenge
- chiefseeker (Jody Vandergriff) Planning a family trip to Washington D.C. with your kids? Look no further than this list of kid-friendly things to do in the city. I took my 10-year-old son to DC for a memorable trip in November 2019, and it was both a fun and educational experience for both of us. From incredible museums to the grandeur of the National Mall, there is no shortage of activities to keep children entertained and engaged in learning. Here are our favorite spots from our trip. Reach out to your representative in Congress up to 6 months in advance for free tickets to many of the top sights as well as special access. Book as many popular sites sell out quickly!
- netanyas (Netanya Trimboli) There is so much good food in the DC area, and these are local insider tips to getting fine dining flavors at a budget-friendly price. Dinner for 2, following the recommendations, can be expected to total around $35-$45, not including drinks.
- netanyas (Netanya Trimboli) If you're visiting the DC area with kids and need to take a break from the museums to let them run around, check out this list.
- chiefseeker (Jody Vandergriff) Planning to hit the road this summer? Check out these charming towns across America gushing with personality and history.