Greece has that special something. Get lost in the winding seaside streets of Oia or Thera, look out at the expansive Aegean sea, explore the hidden alleyways — any keen adventurer will find something do while on this island. But like anywhere else, Santorini is not without its drawbacks. While walking along a dusty road, weaving between small buildings, the smells of lamb and fish making my mouth water, I became aware that I was being followed. Strangely enough, I felt no immediate danger. There were a few locals along the road, and I assumed the man behind me was simply heading in the same direction. But when I crossed the street, the man called out to me, a smile on his face, and asked me for directions. Unassuming, I told him that I didn’t know the area, and his response was, “I’m Egyptian.” Um…okay? Good for you! I just smiled at him, said something like “oh…” and attempted to turn away. The man spoke up again: “Can I pay for sex?” Oh. Ohhhhhhh. It was then that I realized he had mistaken me for a prostitute. Perhaps you have been privy to the harassment and catcalls from the occasional onlooker. We get it in our home countries too, right? But Black female travelers especially may encounter the stereotype of being mistaken specifically for a “streetwalker” while abroad. And this assumption usually didn’t change until someone realized I was American. It could get incredibly uncomfortable, especially when you’re staring longingly off into the middle distance only for some guy to come up and ask you for sex. TIP: Stay at Luna Suites in Pyrgos. The views are stunning, and for a lesser cost than other boutique hotels in the area. Breakfast is included! Pyrgos itself is a beautiful location in Santorini; the maze-like structure hides many shops and restaurants that other tourists aren’t privy to! For an even cheaper stay, and if you don’t mind a bit of a walk to the nearest town, try Villa Manos in Karterados, Santorini. The couple who owns the hotel is lovely, and the entire staff will make the place feel like home. The out-of-the-way location also makes it feel like you’re on your own private island. Try a cooking class and wine tasting and book a moderately cheap sunset yacht tour to really feel sexy in Santorini.
Souvlaki! Tzatziki sauce! Cliffside homes with sky blue rooftops! When we say Santorini, you’re likely to get that picture-perfect image in your head (perhaps due to the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants). We can’t say you’ll get away from the tourists here, but it’s 100% worth it to see one of Greece’s most sought-after islands. Here you’ll have views of the deep lapis-colored sea wherever you go, whether that’s from the back of a bumpy ATV ride or a swanky honeymoon suite.
- Places inspired by fellow Seekers This is an ever-growing list of places that I save while exploring the lists made by fellow Seekers.
- Most Romantic Destinations in the World! February is the month of love! Here is the list of the most romantic places according to me! I wish I could visit them with my love soon !
- Most Romantic Getaways in Europe Europe is a lovely country to visit, especially with one you love. These are perfect getaways for couples in general but especially during Valentine's Day. This way you get to explore the beauty of the continent while spending special quality time with your partner.
- Islands on my hit list It's no secret that I love islands. This is an ongoing bucket list of the islands I hope to visit one day - and a few I have actually made it to!
- 10 Colorful Destinations around the World Bright colors catch our eye and draw us in. Here you will find some of the most colorful places to visit around the world, from tulip festivals in the Netherlands, to bright colored buildings of Puerto Rico.
- Islands to visit before I die When I went to Hawaii I fell in love with the nature and the sensation of stillness. Before I die I really want to travel to other islands, expecially the most underrated ones! #SeekerChallenge
- Travel Bucket List This list features some of the places I want to visit in my lifetime. Some for the culture, some for the food, some for the architecture, and some for the beaches.
- Honeymoon Destinations
- Island Getaways
- Forbes' Top 50 in Travel